Best of New England Fall Foliage 2017 (3 spots left)
Join Ben Williamson and Mike Blanchette on an exploration of New England at the peak of fall foliage. Our workshop will cover some of the most beautiful fall foliage landscapes that New England has to offer. We will visit and photograph small village scenes, picturesque churches, barns, covered bridges, lakes, ponds, scenic overlooks and much more. In addition to the familiar “golden hour” shooting times (the hours around sunrise and sunset), we will also immerse ourselves in star photography on nights that are not overcast. The moon will be setting in the late evening over the course of the workshop, so we hope to be able capture the Milky Way, weather permitting. Our aim is to have as much fun as possible while creating great images!
The workshop is limited to eight (8) participants to ensure an optimum instructor-to-participant ratio and provide a top-notch intimate experience for all participants. We have no set minimum number of participants, so we can guarantee that the workshop will run regardless of group size.
Our primary goal is to put the group in beautiful locations at optimal times, and offer our thoughts on how to make stunning landscape photographs at these locations. While in the field, Ben and Mike will be at your disposal for any assistance you may require. As time permits, we will also hold informal training sessions back at the motel, especially during periods of inclement weather.
The daily itinerary is affected by weather conditions, thus is changeable. Your workshop leaders will evaluate the options on a day-by-day basis and select destinations to anticipate overall conditions. This flexibility increases our chances of being at the right place at the right time. We typically photograph ponds, rivers, mountain overlooks, barns, covered bridges, white-steeple churches, and pretty villages that include:
- 📷 Serene ponds and overlook in Groton State Forest (VT)
- 📷 Photogenic farms and barns around Barnet (VT)
- 📷 Pretty villages of Peacham, East Corinth, and Waits River (VT)
- 📷 Farmous Jenne Farm in Reading (VT)
- 📷 Famous Sleepy Hollow Farm in Woodstock (VT)
- 📷 Little A.M. Foster Bridge in Cabot (VT)
- 📷 Scenic Kangamagus Highway (NH)
- 📷 Foss Mountain overlook near Eaton (NH)
- 📷 White chapel on Crystal Lake in Eaton (NH)
- 📷 Covered bridges on the Saco River (NH)
- 📷 St Matthews Chapel at Sugar Hill (NH)
- 📷 Beaver Pond in Woodstock (NH)
- 📷 Iron Mountain overlook in Jackson (NH)
For the first four nights of the workshop, we will be staying at a modest yet comfortable motel in Marshfield, Vermont. This quiet pastoral setting is within a one-hour drive of Vermont’s most beautiful foliage locations. This will serve as our home base for the first part of the workshop. We will reserve a block of rooms for your convenience. All rooms are single-occupancy unless you request otherwise.
For the last two nights, we will be based in beautiful North Conway, New Hampshire. This is the hub of the White Mountains of New Hampshire, with lots of hotels and restaurants. Here again, we will generally travel within a one-hour radius of our home base, and book single-occupancy rooms on your behalf.
The motels are selected mainly for their proximity to our sunrise and sunset locations. They offer clean and affordable lodging, but they tend to be modest and certainly not fancy. Neither motel includes a restaurant but both offer free WIFI. The per-night rate runs around $100 per room.
You can take either US highway I-89 or I-93 to reach Marshfield. Both are scenic highways, although I-89N from Concord (NH) is probably slightly faster if coming from southern points. The Marshfield Inn & Motel is located on Route 2 between the towns of Plainfield and Marshfield, Vermont (GPS coordinates: N44 18.428', W72 23.969’).
Our gathering place on October 8 will be in the “lobby” of the Marshfield Inn & Motel at 5pm. We'll spend an hour on brief introductions and set expectations for the week. Then, we’ll go for a casual dinner at a restaurant in nearby Plainfield. Our photographic journey begins with a sunrise shoot the next morning.
We’ll be working our way through parts of Vermont and New Hampshire over the course of the week, concluding the workshop after sunrise and breakfast on the morning of October 14.
- When: October 8-14, 2017 (6 nights)
- Where: Vermont and New Hampshire
- Group Size: Limit of 8
- Cost: $1495
- Deposit: :$300
- Difficulty: Easy to moderate
- ✓ New England at its best
- ✓ 5 full days of photography
- ✓ Night photography outings
- ✓ Advanced field techniques
- ✓ Central motel locations
- ✓ No minimum participants
- ✓ Individualized attention
- ✓ New England-based instructors
- ✓ Flexible daily itinerary
- Ben Williamson
- Mike Blanchette
- Oct 8-11: Marshfield Inn & Motel
- Oct 12-14: Clarendon Motel
- Nearest Airports:
- Manchester-Boston Regional
- Boston Logan International